Thursday, October 4, 2007

Solitude is Golden

I finally had some alone time yesterday. It's been a long time since I've done it and the first thing I did was enjoy a table by myself at Subway. I had my fav, a turkey-bacon sub and coke and allowed myself to write this...though I'm just typing it today.
I forgot how hard it is to eat alone. There was a time, when I worked for Busson, that I got used to it and really began to have a good time with myself and my thoughts. Point of note- I never went without a book or pen and paper. I felt like I needed something so I wasn't just sitting there staring at people...lol.
My favorite place ever to eat and read/write was in Minnesota. There was this incredible restaurant. You know, the kind that has the bar at the front near the kitchen where all of the other singles can smoke, chat with each other and flirt with the waitress. It was slightly smoky, they called me hun or darlin' and I always hated to leave. When I hook up the laptop again I'll have to pull of the things I wrote about the place as I sat there. (Even though I was in these other places taking photographs for a portrait company, my days were to myself and I would write as though some travel magazine would use my writing for an article and accompany it with my photographs.)
I went to the town monument for Simon Bolivar and spent time in our local park taking photographs of the geese, an older couple enjoying a swing together and tried out angles with the playground equipment. It was so nice listening to the geese honk, and one even hissed at me :)...watching the stillness of the lake until a gliding bird stirred up the peaceful waters. I really have to do that more often.
Pictures from my day can be found here.

1 comments:

ragaMuffin said...

I know what you mean about trying not to stare at people; I generally eat alone at work, and if I don't have something to read I can feel quite uncomfortable.