Friday, February 1, 2008

Substance...I hope.

I feel like a complete heel for not mentioning this the other day...I just kinda been scatterbrained. I know, it shocks you...but its true :).
This is my first-ever Blog Bling. I received it from Marylin over at A Little Space For Me, If you get a chance, go check her out, say Hi, show some love.

I'd like to pass the award along and wish to give it to two people. Chas over at Visor Thoughts and Melissa at Part of Everything.

I mentioned that I read a book that I wanted to write about. I read two this week. One was by Karen Harper and I loved it. The setting was England, right before Elizabeth became queen. There was suspense, intrigue...great book. Can't wait to get the rest of the series.

Now, for the one that's ruffling my feathers. Yesterday I read The Alexandria Link by Steve Barry. I read the back of the book...it sounded great in a "National Treasure" kinda way. So, the premise was good. However, if I had known that it would be slamming at the foundation of Christianity (and 2 other major religions) I would not have spent my 8 dollars on it. Not in a million years.
Its not just that its 'challenging' my beliefs while posing as fiction, it does it in such a way that I actually started wondering. Me. Who was raised solidly in church, seen my fair share of 'false teachers' and have watched my friends and family get sucked into the wrong things by simple little things Just.Like.This!
Now, I did love the writing style, the characters, the quest for the Library of Alexandria - on its own it would have made one Incredible Story. I realize that this is all a matter of opinion - I'm sure anyone that has read The DaVinci Code will find it fascinating...but me....it just kinda makes me angry.
But thats ok...thats just me.

I guess I just wanted to rant over buying a book I believed to be one way and found it to be the complete opposite. Its not that I didn't like it - I just felt a little duped. I NEVER would have bought this book if I had known. Seriously, there should be some kind of 'De-Bunking Religion' disclaimer on there somewhere..lol.

Was it written well? Yes Was it intriguing and action-packed? Yes and yes

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oooh! Someone's been playing with their template! :)

Thank you so much for the award. As you know, I'm a few days behind in my posting (and may be a few days more!) But, just so you know, you made my day. Today=Not so much a very good day :o/ But you just brightened it up a bit for me. Thank you :)

Kennis said...

I'm so glad it made your day :). It was well deserved.

AS for the template, yes. As long as my quasi-creative streak continues I'll be changing it once a month.